Re: [TowerTalk] Repair HD-BX Tower?

To: "Mike Lafferty W2TB" <mikelafferty@verizon.net>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Repair HD-BX Tower?
From: "Vic Sadesky" <vsadesky@ccis.com>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 09:29:38 -0700
Hey Mike,

Good to hear someone else has one of these "free standers"  Mine has been up
for 15 years now with no signs of any problems so I'm curious how the
failure happened and is the tower up?  I can't see that it make any
difference if you use a bolt or rivet. The factory used "squeeze" or
"bucked" rivets not the pop type so I would go with the bolts.  Dissimilar
metals corrosion and strength of the repair material you use would be my
biggest concern.  You're saying "through a hole in the aluminum rivet"  from
my aircraft days,  I would remove the rivet and make sure the bolt has a
tight TIGHT fit in the hole. Also check for cracks around the hole.  A crack
will continue to propagate even with the rivet repaired.

Good luck and 73

Vic Sadesky KI6VC
Cal City
"Our doubts are traitors,