Re: [TowerTalk] HBDX 48

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HBDX 48
From: "larryjspammenot@teleport.com" <larryj@teleport.com>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 15:17:52 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
I just looked in my Rohn Ham Tower Catalog, and for the BX/HBX/HDBX towers, it
says:
"NOTE: ANTENNAS DEVELOPING A LARGE TWISTING MOMENT DUE TO WIND MUST NOT BE USED
ON THIS TOWER. ANENNAS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO THOSE HAVING A MAXIMUM BOOM LENGTH
OF 10 FT."
Then it repeats the 10 foot boom length limitation note on the next page.

I saw the twisted remains of an overloaded HDBX48 tower not far from here a few
years ago. It wasn't pretty. I'm giving serious second thoughts about re-using
my HDBX48 at my new QTH, except maybe for some small 2-Meter yagis or a
10-Meter Ground Plane. As difficult as it is to climb, even with steel shank
boots, I may just go with something different.

LJ