Re: [TowerTalk] Mast failures

To: Jim Miller <jimmiller@stl-online.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mast failures
From: BRENT BAUM <brentbaum5323@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 22:59:33 -0600
I currently have a 32 foot length of heavy top rail that is guyed at the top (3
guys). ALL it holds is a 20 meter dipole, and I wouldn't put any more on it.
Even with guys it provides an entertaining dance in the wind.

K7MEI, Brent
> From: JimMiller@STL-OnLine.Net> To: towertalk@contesting.com> Date: Fri, 1
> Jun 2007 21:27:31 -0500> Subject: [TowerTalk] Mast failures> > I was camping
> and carried a 21 ft toprail for a chainlink fence for my 10> elt (horiz + 10
> vertical) 2 meter beam. I had it tied to the awning> supports near the front
> window on the motorhome and the bottom sitting on> the rotor attached to a
> board with nails extended into the ground to keep it> from twisting.> > You
> had to see this to get the full effect but one morning after a storm,> the
> toprail had bent in a gentle curve starting just above the top mounting>
> point to the tip being completely horizontal and the beam was pointing>
> STRAIGHT at the ground. The end was probably 3 or 4 ft clear of the ground.>
> It was absolutely hilarious. I doubt I will ever forget. Nothing was> damaged
> except the toprail.> > Unless you can take a joke and the cost of failure, do
> it the right way.> > 73, Jim> > ----- Original Message ----- > From: <K7LXC@ao
 l.com>> To: <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>; <towertalk@contesting.com>;
<Eroddy4366@aol.com>> Sent: Friday, June 01, 2007 11:36 AM> Subject: Re:
[TowerTalk] masts.> > > >> > In a message dated 6/1/2007 9:13:46 A.M. Pacific
Daylight Time,> > km1h@jeremy.mv.com writes:> >> > > At a former QTH with less
wind exposure I had a 20/15/10 stack of W2PV> > 4el> > monobanders on 20' of 2
3/8 OD galvanized cast pipe. Except for eating> > rotators (Daiwa and Create
even using 2 thrust bearings) it survived just> > fine thru many northeasters,
CAT 2 & 3 hurricanes and ice storms while on> > 100' of 25G.> > Im sure that
there are many parts of the country that cast pipe would> fail> > but dont
discount it altogether.> >> >> >> > In other words, you lucked out!> >> >
Cheers,> > Steve K7LXC> > TOWER TECH> >> >> >> >
************************************** See what's free at> http://www.aol.com.>