Re: [TowerTalk] elevated radials vertical

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] elevated radials vertical
From: <donovanf@starpower.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 07:22:36 -0400 (EDT)
I'm in total agreement with Tom's comments, based on first hand experience for
the last two years after replacing my old elevated
radials.

I had a good 160 meter 4-square vertical array for years, with two
elevated radials on each vertical.  Two years ago -- after tiring of
consistently playing second fiddle to the DXers with good radial systems -- I
installed sixty 120 foot radials on each of the four
verticals.  The difference in performance has been truely awesome.  My
first QSO with the new array was UA0, zone 18, in a small pileup with
only VE1ZZ, and the UA0 heard me first!   I knew right then and there
that I had a winner on my hands.  100 countries worked in a single
weekend, in the 2006 CQ WW CW DX Contest, was a feat I'm absolutely
certain we could not have achieved with the old elevated radials.

I should have listened to Tom's good advice years ago.  He's right,
listen to him!

73
Frank
W3LPL