Re: [TowerTalk] Balun question shield leakage

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Balun question shield leakage
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 13:52:49 -0500
Contrary to as stated by the other poster; "transfer impedance" does NOT
remain constant with frequency.
The transfer impedance of a cable is how a lightning pulse gets onto the
center conductor of a cable when there is a dc short circuit on the antenna
end. It would seem that there would be no way for it to penetrate the
shield. In this case the skin effect starts to fall apart at the low
frequencies and the same current flows on the inside of the cable that flows
on the outside of the shield.
But all shields have a transfer impedance, even solid shields, where the
current on one side of the shield causes a voltage drop over some length of
the cable and that voltage drop is seen on the other side of the shield.

The less dense the shielding is generally the higher the transfer impedance.
A lower value of transfer impedance means less leakage.

Here is a link to belden's paper on transfer impedance. Note the charts at
the bottom of the page comparing different amounts of shielding and
frequency.

Also a google on "transfer impedance" will show several other interesting
articles.

http://www.belden.com/pdfs/TechInfo/TechTransfer.htm

73
Gary  K4FMX