Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Re: vertical ground experiment

To: "David Gilbert" <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Re: vertical ground experiment
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 16:30:27 -0700 (PDT)
One of the reasons why the feedpoint impedance doesn't necessarily
correlate with the efficiency is that there isn't necessarily
any well defined location that represents a line of demarcation
between the "antenna" proper and the "counterpoise".  You can
build a thin dipole, put it in free space, and insert a small
source in series at the center and expect to get 73 ohms without
much chance for trouble.  You know exactly where the source is.
You can expect to get half of 73 ohms impedance for a vertical
only if it is over a perfect infinite ground.  Otherwise,
the counterpoise is also an antenna of sorts.  Where does the
vertical start and the counterpoise end?  At your source?  That
is an accident of where you chose to put the source.  It can affect
drive impedance either by adding loss or by redistributing current.
It may even radiate to some extent.  You can't tell how much
of each effect is in play, unless you measure field strength
at a distance.  Also, in real situations, the coax may radiate
if you are not careful.

Rick N6RK