Re: [TowerTalk] Tower ACCIDENT

To: "Richard Joey Fiero II W5TFW" <w5tfw@arrl.net>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower ACCIDENT
From: "Chet Moore" <ChetMoore@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 20:58:37 -0400
Yo Joey,

I don't know that I see a lot of mistakes or things that I haven't already
done? .  Could you expand a bit on just what were the mistakes you made? I
guess it would have been nice to know the age  and make of the tower, the
size of the guy wires, were the guy wires attached to the legs or to a
guying fixture?  I typically have a fall arrest lanyard plus another belt
around the tower, usually clipped off on different rungs.  That doesn't help
much if you are attached twice to the same section and that section
collapses .  Now that you think back on it, did any of the 6 sections you
successfully got down have a lot of rust where they were joined together?
Did the tower collapse in the middle of the section?

A couple of weeks ago the club here went out to take down a 90 footer at
K1KO.   N4BAA who was the climber after looking it over "condemned" the
tower and said he wasn't climbing it (25G).  The end result was that  the
legs were cut at the bottom and the tower was dropped and fell right on the
chosen line.   After reading this, I am sure the right choice was made.

I hope you make a speedy recovery.

73

Chet N4FX