Re: [TowerTalk] can we please stop

To: "Hsu, Aaron (NBC Universal)" <aaron.hsu@nbcuni.com>,"I>TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] can we please stop
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 13:54:25 -0700
At 12:08 PM 6/29/2007, Hsu, Aaron (NBC Universal) wrote:
>It may "sound" like a dumb question, but it might have been a valid
>one, so-to-speak.  He might have worked in a process environment
>where he was trained to only connect things as marked.  He might not
>know why they were marked, but just followed directions.  Perhaps
>different connectors were used on each end for some reason or
>another (cost or maybe weatherproofing?).  Just speculating.
>
>I've heard that certain certifications (such as ISO) require that
>resistors and even wire be handled with proper anti-static precautions.

ISO-9000 wouldn't require this, just that you have a procedure and
follow it (the procedure could say handle ESD parts in one way, and
non-ESD another)...

However, the real reason for this is to avoid accidents.  If you
ALWAYS handle everything the same way (i.e. ESD safe) then you
develop good habits: put the wrist strap on when you come in in the
morning, check it, plug in, sit down.  It's like putting on a seatbelt.

There's never any ambiguity (Do I need a strap for this?.. answer is easy: YES)

>  To many, this may sound silly, but in order to maintain the
> certification, this process must be followed.

And that's what ISO-9000 (and it's ilk) would verify. That you have a
process and that you follow it.

>So if someone asks for a grounding-strap before picking up some
>resistors, it may sound silly, but he may be just use to the idea.
Jim, W6RMK