Re: [TowerTalk] Trylon safety rail system

To: wc1m@msn.com, towertalk@contesting.com, n0rq-lists@sbcglobal.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Trylon safety rail system
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 20:05:55 EDT

In a message dated 7/2/2007 7:41:11 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,  wc1m@msn.com
writes:

>> Yes, climbing a tower by  leapfrogging your lanyards is  tedious but
>> it's safe and there are pretty limited   options.

>  Even more limited when you have three TIC rings in  the way!

>  Steve, do you have experience with any of the cable  safety systems out
there? Are they effective? Are they any less  expensive?

    Sure. I've used many and installed a few. They're  very good at providing
fall arrest protection as you're climbing up or down  the ladder or pegs.

>  In my case, I'd probably have to run  four separate cables between the TIC
rings and top.

    You mean between each guy level? That's going to  be expensive since
you'll need the top and bottom attaching fixtures for each  segment which is
most
of the price.

>  I suspect that the available systems stand off from the  tower
too far to be run inside the TIC rings -- there's only 2-3 inches  of
clearance I think. In any case, I'd have to unclip to climb over the  rings
(using the fall arrest lanyards, of course), then reclip.

    Yep, I don't think there's any other way to do  it.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH