Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Light Outages

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Light Outages
From: DONMAR1234@aol.com
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 23:29:37 EDT

In a message dated 7/7/2007 4:35:13 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,

Message:  8
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2007 20:18:44 +0000
From: "Donald Chester"  <k4kyv@hotmail.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower Lighting
To:  towertalk@contesting.com

Has anyone heard anything about the FAA  easing up on tower lighting
requirements recently?

I have noticed  within the past month or so, the red lights on nearby
structures have gone  dark at night.  There are two communications towers and
a water tank  all within a couple of miles of here, that  always had
nighttime  lighting, but lately I notice the lights have not been activated.

My  tower is 22' short of the height the FAA told me I would be required to
light it, when I built it back in  1981.

Don

k4kyv

This is a definite safety issue and you should report the light outages  to:

1) FAA at 1-877-487-6867 so they can issue a Notice to Airman (NOTAM),  and
2) FCC Atlanta Office which covers Tennessee.  A general FCC  contact number
is 888-CALL-FCC or
888-225-5322.  Or, after hours you can report safety of life  emergencies
24/7 to (202) 418-1199.

Note, the 877 and 888 numbers are toll free.  Be prepared to  give as much
location information as possible, e.g. street address, gps  coordinates or the
FCC ASR (Antenna Survey Registration) number which should be  posted at the
base of the tower or gate to the facility.

73,
Don
KW7R