Re: [TowerTalk] B&W center insul........

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] B&W center insul........
From: Mike Miller <wa0zog@embarqmail.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2007 20:32:49 -0500
Jake's suggestion got me to thinking....

What about a hose washer, instead of a section of hose, or possibly heading to
the hardware store (or an auto parts store, for that matter) with the insulator
and a short chunk of coax in hand for comparison's sake and seeing what they
have available for o-rings?  Either or both of those options just might work.
I'd think that the o-ring might hold up better, though, since the hose washer
isn't designed to be in the heat for long periods of time, like the o-ring is
likely to be.  Just thinking out loud though....

I also remember reading one TT reader's caution about water getting into the
insulator.  I've not seen one of these, so take this as just a suggestion,
since I've not seen it, but if you're supposed to seal it shut, couldn't you
simply seal those holes as well?  Is there any good reason that they should
remain open?  I can see the potential need for drain holes on the *bottom* to
allow potential condensation to drain, but wouldn't see why you'd need anything
on the top.  Just a thought.  And you should be able to seal it with something
as simple as automotive Permatex Black RTV.  That should hold up just fine
outdoors.  Just don't goop it on too thick and you should be just fine.

I, too, will echo the good luck strain.

73,
Mike, WA0ZOG