Re: [TowerTalk] antennas

To: "James C. Garland" <4cx250b@muohio.edu>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] antennas
From: "Pete Raymond" <n4kw@wildblue.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 14:09:56 -0400
I sure do remember the Gotham antennas.  My first antenna was a Gotham V80
vertical which operated on 80 up through 10 meters for the cost of $16.00
and some odd cents.  The antenna consisted of two 12 foot length of aluminum
tubing.
Assembly was simply to slide one tube into the other until you had a total
length of 23 feet.   A large coil was provided for 80 meters.  Radials, well
mine was simply a wire to the vent pipe on the roof where my antenna was
mounted.  I was sixteen back then and on July 26 1958 I worked VK0TC on 20
CW, now I want to tell you the electricity ran through my body for the next
two days.  When the qsl finally came it took a week before I came back to
earth.  Did the antenna work, I guess it did as I ran 75 watts back then and
my walls were filling up with qsl cards.  As I recall Gotham was out of
Miami, FL.  A qso and a time I will never forget.
73 Pete N4KW