Re: [TowerTalk] XM240

To: "'Doug Renwick'" <ve5ra@sasktel.net>, <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] XM240
From: "Bill Parry" <BPARRY@RGV.RR.COM>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 13:22:26 -0500
Howdy Doug,

I only got one response but I did it anyway. I bought some RG11 coax and a
double female coax connector here locally, looked up the VF of the coax,
measured the length, and put it in line. (I wish I had used RG6 now.) I
hooked it up and it DIDN'T work...I was very surprised!

I thought it might be sensitive about where in line I put it, so I moved it
so that it was as near my amp as I could and it DID work. I can't find my
info with the original SWR! My 80 M 75 ohm coax is connected directly to the
80 M sloper... that's probably the best place to put it.

SWR Now:

7.0     1.6
7.05    1.0
7.1     1.4
7.15    1.8
7.2     2.5

The lowest SWR is about 50 KHZ lower than it was. This is a real gain for
me. I don't really care about 40M phone and if something is really important
there, I can just remove the 75 ohm coax (its inside the shack!) My Alpha
87a loves me again because I don't have it fault every time I go to 40 from
another band anymore.

I know that I didn't really "fix" anything but my amp is fooled into
thinking the SWR is lower and that's good enough for me. The antenna already
worked well.

Since I originally put this out on TowerTalk I am going to send a copy
there. I hope you don't mind.

Good luck

Bill, W5VX