Re: [TowerTalk] Ground Rods

To: "'towertalk reflector'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ground Rods
From: "Larry Burke" <wi5a@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 11:25:23 -0500

I just bought some 5/8" x 8 ft rods for $10.85 each, plus tax, at a local
electrical supply house. As another poster mentioned the electrical supply
houses may offer a bit better quality as well.

Ron's next question may be "is there an easy way to install them". The
archives are full of ideas as this subject has been covered quite a bit in
the past. I just got through putting in 9 of them using a relatively
inexpensive hammer drill from Harbor Freight. This particular drill has a
plain SDS (not SDS Max) chuck and I could never find a ground rod driver bit
for it. So I cut off the end of one of the SDS chisel bits that came with
the drill and used it to drive the rods. To keep the bit from sliding off
the rod I secured a piece of automotive heater hose around the bit with a
hose clamp and slipped it over the rod (no clamp on the rod end of the hose,
just on the bit). Worked like a champ and the heads were not mushroomed as
they surely would have been had I used a sledge hammer. Each rod took
between 5 and 10 minutes to drive. Better yet, I didn't die from heat stroke
as I might have if I'd driven them all by hand in our current weather. Bear
in mind the soil here is not rocky and we have recently had a lot of rain.
YMMV.

- Larry Wi5A

On 07/11/07 09:16 pm Ron Todd wrote:

> Where can Ground Rods be purchased? I would like 5/8 X 8  or 10 foot

>As others have said, at any of the "Home Improvement" stores. But the price
keeps increasing. The original 5/8" x 8ft. ones I bought about 4 years ago
were $8.xx each. Later I paid $13.xx for some. Now I see them at $15.xx.