Re: [TowerTalk] Wind area for Rohn tower sections

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wind area for Rohn tower sections
From: "W7CE" <w7ce@curtiss.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 19:48:16 -0700

>> Area (square ft/lin ft)
>> Rohn 25 - 0.254
>> Rohn 45 - 0.293
>> Rohn 55 - 0.334
>> Rohn 65 - 0.459

Thanks to all who took the time to answer my question.  I had done rough
calculations and was using 0.25 sq.ft./lin.ft for 25G and 0.45 for 65G.  I
figured there must be Rohn numbers to double check my calculations against
and I'm glad to learn that my estimates are very close to the values derived
from the older Rohn data sheets.  I'm an Engineer, but haven't done these
type of calculations since college.  I can continue doing my tower analysis
with more confidence now.  I tend to design things very conservatively, so
I've decided to go with 110' of Rohn 65G.  None of the catalog designs work
at my location, so I want to be sure that the design has plenty of safety
margin.  Thanks again for the help.

73,
Clay  W7CE