Re: [TowerTalk] How do you move a gin pole *safely* up the tower?

To: "R Atkins" <rusty_atkins@yahoo.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How do you move a gin pole *safely* up the tower?
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 01:03:19 -0400

> Hey all! Things all going rather well, we are up to 35 feet so far. other
> than a few mis-starts, all is good except for one thing... How do you get
> the gin pole *safely* up to the next level? It seems like ideally they
> would have two clamps (I don't know if that's right or not)... but this
> one doesn't.

I can't imagine a pole without two clamps.

I built my own *with* two clamps which makes it very easy to move up to the
next section.
I also have an extra long pole which makes it easier to lift long things.
OTOH it is HEAVY<:-))

Other wise with a single clamp (I'd purchase a second one) but barring a
second clamp as an option, just slide the pole all the way down into the
clamp, hook a pulley onto the top of the tower section and raise the Ginpole
up to the top of the section, but not beyond the top cross braces and clamp
it back on. Then slide the pole up through the clamp.

> When I get it up to where I need to mount it, it becomes *very* unwieldy.
> The leverage 8-10 feet up makes it nearly impossible to keep vertical with
> one hand while I try to clamp it to the tower leg with my other hand.

My advise at this point is "Don't do it!". Do not extend the pole above the
mount until AFTER the mount is attached to the tower leg.  If the pole is
not made to slide though the clamp..."pitch it and get one that will". One
that won't slide is dangerous.  You should not have to clamp to the tower
leg with the pole extending on up to the point where it becomes top heavy.

Good Luck,

Roger (K8RI)