Re: [TowerTalk] base below ground level/drainage

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] base below ground level/drainage
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 00:12:29 -0400
> However...her one request is that the top of the concrete be at least a
> few inches below ground so if/when we move, we can cover the spot and seed
> it...no harm, no foul. I am concerned about water
> accumulation/corrosion/structural weakness to the concrete, and wonder if
> that is as much an issue as I think it is.

The area of dirt from the tower base center to a short radius away can be
counter-sunk several inches below the surrounding ground.  In essence, a
round or square pan is created that can be filled with large gravel or
decorative stone after the base is poured.  The top of the gravel/stone is
flush with the rest of the yard.

At the time of tower removal, simply remove the gravel/stone and add dirt in
place of the gravel.  While the tower is standing, all critical tower base
parts are in the stone-filled pan, still well above the dirt line.

Paul, W9AC