[TowerTalk] Yagi Designs

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Yagi Designs
From: Garry <g.drummond@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 17:43:24 -0400
Hi Carl,

I was reading comments on this topic with great interest. I also have
Jim Lawson's book but was not aware of any suppliments. Is there a way
to find these on the web? Using Jim's design, I built a 3-element
monobander for 18 MHz back when the WARC bands were first opened to us.
That was a lot of fun. My taper schedule ran from 1.125" to .625". I
Gamma matched it and it worked fine. I always liked the T match but
never built one. I've seen the designs in the handbooks but never seen
one actually built by a Ham. Can you describe how you built yours and do
you have any pictures of it?

Telrex is the only company I remember who used the T match. I can't
remember if KLM used it too or not.

Thank you,
Garry - WR4R

In addition I used the all metal T match which was grounded to the boom.
I used that to overcome the low feed impedence which I felt could not be
adequately handled by a gamma match. Besides, the all metal construction
was immune to rain and most snow static, that really offered an edge in
some contests and DX pileups.

There is a whole lot more than simply looking at the element mounting
methods. For a grounded element the mounting plate also has to be
calculated. And then there is the element taper, mine went from 1 1/4"
down to 1/2". Its all covered in Jims supplements which did not get
general distribution.

Carl
KM1H