Re: [TowerTalk] Masts with steps

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Masts with steps
From: "Mark Beckwith" <n5ot@n5ot.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 06:14:54 -0500
Gordon et al,

I hate climbing anything, but realized as a teenager that if I was to have
the big ham station I dreamed of, I was either going to have to hire out all
the climbing or do it myself.  I thought with the rest of my life ahead of
me I'd better get used to it, like it or not.  I'm 49 and I still hate it,
but I do it.

Gordon I can't tell if your post is attempting to suggest that climbing a 2
inch mast is "unsafe in your highly credentialed opinion", or if you're just
saying "I've climbed a lot of stuff and I don't feel good climbing a 2 inch
mast."

Like I say, I don't feel good climbing ANYTHING, but I've climbed a lot of 2
inch masts and I'm alive to tell about it.

Also, to speak the somewhat-unspoken-but-assumed: ***not all 2 inch masts
are the same.***  You couldn't get me to attach my belt more than maybe 6"
up a water pipe, fence post or electrical conduit (well, maybe 12").  I am
ONLY talking about climbing .25" wall high-grade steel tubing.  I have only
climbed masts I have personally installed.  So maybe I'm not as crazy as I
sound.  I'm actually pretty picky.

Mark, N5OT