Re: [TowerTalk] Feedline Coil or Loop??

To: towertalk@contesting.com, k3bz@arrl.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Feedline Coil or Loop??
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 15:50:32 EDT

In a message dated 7/23/2007 12:13:41 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  I've always used a feedline "loop" that hangs out and down  from the tower
leg that's half-way on the rotation circle, is attached to  the boom a few
feet out from the mast, and is long enough that it doesn't  impede antenna
rotation in either direction.  I recently saw an  installation with the
antenna mounted about 2 feet up the mast from the  tower top,  with the
feedline coiled about 2 turns loosely around the  mast rather than hanging
down. The antenna end of the coax was attached at  the bottom of the
mast-to-boom plate.  The arrangement looked like  those coils of cable that
the TV trucks deploy when they raise their  microwave towers, but only a
couple of turns to the coil.  When  rotated in one direction the coil got
tighter to the mast, but not  touching it.  In the other direction the coil
got  looser.

>  My question is.... is this a good idea?  I have  never seen it before, so
maybe it isn't in widespread use, which makes me  wonder why not.... as it
"appears" that it would put less stress on the  coax than the usual U-shaped
arrangement.

    You betcha. It's an alternate method that works  FB and is a little more
foolproof than a conventional rotation loop. I think  the reasons that it's
not used more is a) many people don't know about it and  b) it takes a little
more thought and planning to do. If you've hauled up the  feedline with your
beam, getting it around the mast a couple of times might  not be easy. OTOH you
can spin the beam on the mast a couple of times to do  it.

    I've used it many times. It's easier with one or  two cables - more
starts to cause coiling/uncoiling problems.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH