Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding Standard

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding Standard
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 21:32:52 -0700
On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 23:20:01 -0500, Mike Miller wrote:

>Drawing on what both Carl, KM1H, has suggested about battery cables or
>other stranded cables, and what Jim, W6RMK, has suggested about surface
>area, is there any reason that I couldn't make use of the spare 2/0
>welding cable I've got hanging around in the garage instead of heading
>off to purchase something else for grounding the tower?

Mike,

W6RMK has given you good advice, but a fair amount of what has been written
on this topic is of questionable accuracy or relevance. I suggest that the
FIRST thing you should do is download and study the appendix to my tutorial
that talks about grounding and lightning protection. What I've written is far
from the last word, but it is correct, and it will bring things back down to
earth.

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

73,

Jim Brown K9YC