Re: [TowerTalk] How close does a vertical have to be to saltwaterto see

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How close does a vertical have to be to saltwaterto see any benefit?
From: "Mark Beckwith" <n5ot@n5ot.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 09:03:41 -0500
There was an excellent NCJ analysis of this question some years ago.
Basically in order to get a "Team Vertical" degree of benefit, you have to
be where you're worrying about how much salt water gets on your antenna
connections, etc.  The benefit goes down as you get farther away, at a high
enough rate that if you're looking for benefit you need to be very close to
the water.

I think I just summarized about 5000 words by K3NA!

Interestingly one of the test scenarios was a 2-element 40, so the article
is not just about verticals.

All that said, the PJ4G rental on Bonaire puts out one of the biggest
signals from the Caribbean on 40-10, and it's several miles inland, but a
direct shot over water in most directions.  The amps are not Big Amps there.

Mark, N5OT