Re: [TowerTalk] Cable Replacement HDX-555

To: towertalk@contesting.com, n3nrn@arrl.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cable Replacement HDX-555
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 14:07:59 EDT

In a message dated 7/27/2007 11:50:08 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  Has anyone replaced the cables on a US Tower HDX-555? How  bad of a job
was it and do you have any pointers or tips on the replacement?  Is there
anything else I should be looking at? Please let me  know.

    Not to dodge the question, but why are you  asking? Are you planning on
recabling it? What makes you think it needs  recabling?

    In order to be bad enough to consider  replacement, you need one of three
criteria.

1)    Damaged cable. If it was kinked or deformed,  then replace it.
2)    Significant rust. Not surface rust, but deep  rust.
3)    Excessive broken strands. You're allowed six in  one cable before you
need to consider replacing it.

    I've only seen one or two instances of a ham  tower where the cables were
bad enough that they really had to be replaced.  Otherwise, you're good to go.

    And don't be taken in by the US Tower company  line to "replace the
cables every 3 years." That is NOT the advice of the wire  rope manufacturer -
it's
a UST weasel clause. In other words if something  happened to your tower and
you hadn't replaced the cables, they can weasel out  of any liability. Tower
manufacturers are insurance-driven enterprises so  they'll do everything they
can to avoid any risk exposure.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH -