Re: [TowerTalk] CRITTERS AND CABLES

To: k3lr@k3lr.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] CRITTERS AND CABLES
From: "Dick, W1KSZ" <w1ksz@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 22:03:21 -0400
I can loan out my cat, he has a gourmet taste, only likes sweetbreads.
First time I saw a squirrel minus the top of his head it looked like
an outake from a slasher film.
But the squirrel population is kept in check.
He's going to have a ball with the Ground Squirrels in Tucson, as long
as some Coyote doesn't get him first.

73, Dick, W1KSZ

Tim Duffy K3LR wrote:
> It was suggested on this reflector several years ago that critters do not like
> moth balls. So I put my coax that would lay on top of the ground in a box with
> moth balls for about a week before spreading it out. I have had no critter
> issues since adopting this method with my "temporary" 1000 ft run of RG8X
> cable
> 4 years ago.
>
> 73!
> Tim K3LR
>
> Craig Clark wrote:
>
>> For those of us living in areas with chewing critters, I'm not sure
>> there is much you can do. It has been opined that it could be due to
>> salts from manufacture or handling that the animals are attracted to
>> the cable but that is not the issue. In speaking to one of the
>> plastic engineers, he made an analogy why would a horse chew a wood
>> railing when there is lush grass near by? Becuz they are stupid
>> animals I asked. Bingo he said.
>>
>> The best way to protect your cable run is to put it in to conduit.
>> One customer bought hundreds of feet of gray plastic conduit to run
>> his 213 as the critters in his neighborhood had already eaten several
>> runs of cable.
>>
>> Application of moth balls might help as possibly would a pepper solution.
>>
>> Over my 30 years in the woods of NH, I have lost several runs of coax
>> and control lines and have chalked it up to the cost of doing
>> business. I do have runs of flooded LMR600 and RG6 and they have done
>> well for me.
>>
>> I also had a break from my son and his chain saw when he was cutting
>> cord wood. Not much I could do about him.
>>
>> Largest direct burial rotor cable we sell is 14/18 which should work
>> on pretty long runs.
>>
>> 73, Craig Clark, K1QX
>>
>> RADIOWARE AND RADIO BOOKSTORE
>> PO  BOX 209