Re: [TowerTalk] phillystran length ?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] phillystran length ?
From: K4RO Kirk Pickering <k4ro@k4ro.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2007 01:08:40 -0500
When I put up my first tower, I used 4000 lb Phillystran for the
top guys only. I did the same thing when I moved the tower here
in 1991.  I only had one antenna and it worked great. I was a
DXer at the time, and not big on doing contests or operating
on the low bands very much.

When I got into contesting and low band operating, everything changed.
I now had side-mounted antennas, and wire antennas all OVER the place.
It seemed like I was adding another antenna every month or so. Modeling
software showed significant interaction between the guy wires and the
low band wire antennas.  There was mild interaction on the lower yagi
at 60 feet.

In 1997 I replaced all of the guys with 6700 lb Phillystran.
I do actually FEEL that it made a difference, and that's all
that really matters in the end. :-)  I also have more room and
flexibility to run low band antennas in places where I couldn't
before.  That alone was worth it. Once again, if I had the crystal
ball, I would have done it right with Phillystran guys from the start.
Try to plan for the future. You never know when the contesting bug
might sneak up and bite you hard.

73

-Kirk  K4RO