Re: [TowerTalk] ground system

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] ground system
From: Jim Jarvis <jimjarvis@optonline.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 06:55:29 -0400
On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 23:34:08 -0400, Ron Todd wrote:

> >>I have installed a ground system for my new tower.
> >>Should I connect tower ground system to the house ground ?

Jim Brown added:

> >ABSOLUTELY!  All grounds must be bonded together for a safe
> >installation. That means a ROBUST and LOW IMPEDANCE (SHORT) path.

Seems to me that a tower located 200' from the house is a different
animal than one attached to the house.  In the latter case, the answer
is clear.  But for the distant tower, shouldn't the strategy be to
dissipate the charge as far from the house as possible?  Single point
ground isn't possible, at great distances, anyway.

Has anyone else used RF chokes on the cable runs, to limit strike
currents from flowing on them, allowing the tower's ground system
to dissipate the charge?

N2EA