Re: [TowerTalk] Our club's (W8UM) new tower and antennas

To: "'towertalk'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Our club's (W8UM) new tower and antennas
From: "Christopher J Galbraith" <cgalbrai@umich.edu>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 13:14:41 -0700
Hi Carl,

In a nutshell, we went with 55G for extra tower capacity and a safety
factor.  With the icing and wind conditions we had to meet with our proposed
antennas at this height above grade, 55G had some extra load capacity, 45G
may have just been sufficient, and 25G was insufficient according to Rohn
specs and our structural engineer's analysis.  For comparison, a MonstIR on
40 ft of 55G was just barely allowable according to the engineer's (FEM I
believe) model.

In the initial structural engineering work we had performed, the actual
tower weight was a far second-order contributor to the total axial load at
the base.  It was interesting (and surprising to me) that most of peak axial
load comes from guy forces that are transferred to the tower base.  Putting
1.5 inches of radial ice on each guy line really makes for some astonishing
axial load figures.  In the end, the base axial load was indeed the most
important factor.

Anyhow, we decided to stay with 55G and add a very small axial load in
return for extra tower capacity (for future antennas, more severe weather,
climber's peace of mind, etc.).

73, Chris KA8WFC