Re: [TowerTalk] Climbing a Glen Martin RT1832 roof tower

To: jknodel@msn.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Climbing a Glen Martin RT1832 roof tower
From: Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 <faunt@panix.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 12:59:40 -0400 (EDT)
I have a RT-1832 on my roof, and felt uncomfortable about climbing it,
so I bought an extension ladder (first a 20' and now a 24') which I
lash alongside the tower for climbing.  This DOES feel comfortable to
me, since now the only extra load on the tower is a relatively small
lateral force, and the vertical force is on the ladder.  I weigh 180
pounds.

Note that Glen Martin says "don't climb the tower" while providing
horizontal members for just that purpose.

Since the base of mine is 30' up on a peaked roof, the consequences of
failure while climbing are high.

Mine currently has a F12 C3S and EF-140 on it, to be replaced with a 3
element Steppir with 30/40M and a long boom 2M Yagi.  That'll be a
wind load right at specs, but it's in a pretty protected location.

73, doug