Re: [TowerTalk] Single boom solution

To: Jim Jarvis <jimjarvis@optonline.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Single boom solution
From: Hector Garcia XE2K <j_hector_garcia@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 14:23:47 -0700 (PDT)
Jim:

You have a very interesting question,
here the idea is how much wind load your tower will
handle

options are from my point of view
1 plus  can be Ob15-7  all 1 boom

1  Optibeam OB13-6   10 12 15 17 20  40  , no 30m
secondary beam  will be 30m 2 ele  from optibeam
OB2-30 other yagi is Cal av labs 30m yagi -if
avaliable- and the f12 model with coils

2 can be OB11-5  and ob4030

2a can be your taste of SteppIR   and OB4030  , if you
get this  you are in time to place the order , maybe
they will deliver on time the steppIR.

you have the options, the time , check your budget and
make your choice

G L

--- Jim Jarvis <jimjarvis@optonline.net> wrote:

> TT:
>
> This is a planning/brainstorming question, with a
> time-horizon of 12-14
> months.
> Sometime next Summer, if things go as anticipated.
> This is an
> antenna question, not tower.  The question is a
> single boom vs
> multi-boom solution.  There are two use cases:
>
> I can put up one 70' tower in this community.  50%
> setback.  80mph
> wind rqmt for my county.  While I'd like a motorized
> crankup, which
> allows me to set the antenna height appropriately
> for any given band,
> it's likely to be a fixed height tower.
>
> So...the antenna question:
>
> 1)  use case #1:  3 el SteppIR, plus 2 el CC 40
> above it.
>       steppir @ 60, 40 @ 70.  Have a 2el 30 design to
> slide
>       into the 40m boom.
>
> 2)  use case #2:  3 el SteppIR with 30/40 DE. This
> would be
>       at 70' Doesn't excite me.  Would like 2 el on both
> 30/40.
>
> So...the question is, what might be a reasonable
> single boom
> scenario around the steppIR?  Convince the Mertel's
> to make a
> 2 el 30/40 using their folded DE?  This idea would
> have TWO DE's,
> one for 30/40, the other for 20-6.  One could
> retract the unused
> antenna, to avoid interaction.  Admittedly,
> bandswitching in that
> scenario would be slow.
>

> So...what would your approach be?
>
> N2EA