Re: [TowerTalk] Polywater Lubricants

To: "'bill rubin'" <brubin2010@gmail.com>,"'Jeffrey Okamitsu'" <jokamitsu@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Polywater Lubricants
From: "Daron J. Wilson" <daron@wilson.org>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 09:22:20 -0700

> the lubricant is "water base"  sound familiar ?   Go to Wal-mart buy the
> off
> brand of KY and save some cash.   I would like to see the face of the
> person
> at the counter when you buy 5+ tubes !!!
>
> 73'

Sounds fun, but it won't work too well.  First, KY is a great water based
lubricant, however it dries up very quickly if not kept watered.  It is
great for its intended use, basically a short duration slippery product.
Besides, by the time you buy a case or two of KY and try to squeeze it out
of those tubes, you've spent a fair amount of money.

The polywater is a much different consistency.  We referred to it in the
field as 'boy butter' until we were told that that might be offensive to
someone on a job.  The next name that came up was 'dragon drool' and that
fits some of the products real well.

I always thought it would be fun to get a BIG bottle of Astroglide (now
there is a good lubricant) and replace the contents with the Ideal brand of
clear wire pulling lubricant.  Kind of fun to toss the bottle of 'personal
lubricant' to a co-worker when they ask for wire soap!

Ideal also makes a product called aqua-gel, nice light blue gel that is a
good jelly type lube (similar in consistency to KY) but it doesn't flow and
cling to the wire like dragon drool.

Your mileage may vary, and I know, too much information.