Re: [TowerTalk] new tower / antenna proposal

To: towertalk@contesting.com, heartdoc@nwtcc.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] new tower / antenna proposal
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 08:44:29 EDT

In a message dated 8/5/2007 11:27:19 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  I'm developing a long-term proposal for a second tower and  antenna. My
first
tower is a UST 72' crank-up with Force 12 yagis for HF  and 6M. For the new
tower, I would like to put a StepIR MonstIR up at least  100 feet. I live in
a 70 mph wind county in rural NW TN.

>   After looking at some of the internet offerings, I have a question.  What
kind of tower do I need ? This is truly a monster antenna with 70  foot
elements - about as long as my present tower is tall ! This will  produce
tremendous torque when rotated (or just standing still in any  breeze). I was
anticipating using Rohn 45G for this but looking at their  web site, it looks
as if 55G is even undersized for this. The University of  Michigan ARC has 30
feet of 55G mounted on the roof of a building with this  antenna ! WOW! Nice
club ! There is a contest station in 6Y that has not  one, but 2 of these
dream antennae mounted on Rohn 45G in a stack !  Amazing.

    I've installed 4 MonstIRs and they've all been on  100 feet of 45G. It'll
work just fine. If you're concerned about the wind  induced torque, use a
star bracket for the top set of guys. That way the tower  won't move at all.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Professional tower services for hams