Re: [TowerTalk] Airports and Towers (was: Permit in Hand)

To: "Larry Burke" <wi5a@sbcglobal.net>,"'towertalk reflector'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Airports and Towers (was: Permit in Hand)
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2007 14:08:22 -0400

> Carl, KM1H said:
>
>>> A private grass strip has no FAA protection according to the guy I was
> talking to; it would be different if it was open to the public.

I think the key is registered and available to the "public". In this case,
public means other pilots.

> That's the way I read the regs on notification of FAA on towers, too.
>
> Could one of the pilots on the reflector answer a few related questions?
> The
> regs state that airports hams should be concerned about are "available for
> public use and listed in the Airport Directory of the current Airman's
> Information Manual..." among other things. I found many airport
> directories
> on the web and found an "Aeronautical Information Manual".
>
> (a) is "Aeronautical Information Manual" the new de-sexed name for the
> "Airman's Information Manual"?

The AIM is alive and well althugh it has been called the Aeronautical
Information Manual for many years.. I have a 2007 version here. The AIM is
really two books, The A I M and the Federal Air Regulations (FARs) and is
about 2" thick.

> (b) where is the Airport Directory that is associated with the AIM? Can't
> seem to find it on the web.

This is called the Airport Facilities Directory, or AFD and is available for
sections of the country so it takes 6 or 8 of them for the whole country.

> AOPA has a members-only directory which sounds like it might be one of the
> more popular references, but since I can't get access I am depending on a
> list by the Texas Department of Transportation. It shows the closest
> public
> airport to my new QTH as 5.85 miles away. At that distance, I appear to be
> well out of FAA notification distance (assuming the tower is less than 200
> ft AGL). I just need to confirm that that is the ONLY public airport
> around
> here.

> There is a grass runway (seldom used and doesn't appear to be open to the
> public) that is behind the houses across the street from me. The way I
> interpret the regs, this should not be an issue as far as FAA
> notification.

As long as it isn't registered.

> - Larry Wi5A

Roger (K8RI)