[TowerTalk] 45G Fdn

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] 45G Fdn
From: kb9cry@comcast.net (Phil Camera)
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 18:41:59 +0000
1. Do I really use rebar for my CB2 hole?

Yes, really.  You need Qty=4, No. 4 bars vertical and None horizontal (but
won't hurt to install them to hold the verticals in place during the pour).

 If so, what are the lateral ties shown?

None needed for a CB2

Are they rebar or wire?

Since none are specified you could use wire to hold the verticals in place.

I presume they hold the four vertical rebar pieces rigid?

In the larger bases they add structural support as well.

 If that is there only purpose, could I not just push the four
vertical pieces into the wet concrete afterwards, making sure I got at least 3
inches below the concrete surface and did not come out the bottom?

Yes but this may be hard to do and ensure you get them in vertical and if you
hit a snag and can't get them in, now what?

 2. Since the drawing also covers the foundation for Rohn 25, I never heard of
anyone putting rebar into a 25 hole around this area.  Could someone please
clarify this for me.

Yes even CB1 base specifys vertical bars.  I guess those folks didn't follow
the manufacturer's recommendations.

3. Below the 4 foot level bottom of the hole, how much more do I have to dig to
put gravel for drainage?  I have a pile of 5/8" minus I use for filling in the
driveway holes that I would use.

Most folks go 6 inches with 4 inches of leg protruding into that.  Some folks
slop tar around that portion for extra corrosion protection.  I wire tied
landscaping fabric to the ends to make sure that no stone "plugged" up the leg.

--
Phil - KB9CRY
Lockport, IL