Re: [TowerTalk] no ground is better ?

To: "bill rubin" <brubin2010@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] no ground is better ?
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@copper.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 16:43:54 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 16:46:18 -0500, "bill rubin"
<brubin2010@gmail.com> wrote:

>I have a friend (will not say his call sign) who believes that if you can't
>do a full grounding system (building halo, rods every 16 ft, etc) is is
>better NOT to ground your antenna system and just disconnect your coax when
>not used.  Sort of the "lightning does not see me" idea.   While I have
>argued this issue with him I was looking for technical documentation why his
>reasoning is false.  Any information to disclaim the no ground and antenna
>disconnect practice ?

Look at it from the point of view of the lightning. The lightning
wants to go to ground. Which path has less resistance over the last 50
feet of travel:

1. Through 50 feet of air to ground

or

2. Through 50 feet of coax and then a foot or so from the disconnected
end of the coax to ground.

If I'm the lightning, I'm going for #2.

Bill W6WRT