[TowerTalk] Ufer gnds/foundations

To: w7ce@curtiss.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ufer gnds/foundations
From: Jim Jarvis <jimjarvis@optonline.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 09:49:13 -0400
I'm not a student of Ufer grounds.  However, I HAVE engineered some
large towers...including a 500' self supporter.  Everyting I've
read says...provide a low impedance path AROUND the foundation,
not through it.

Think about it...1 million amperes is going to vaporize just about
anything you put down there.  I've seen 8" copper strap, 1/16" thick
simply dissapear.  If it's inside the concrete, the expanding vapor
will cause cracking and structural failure.

My sense of the Ufer ground was that it was intended to reduce
corrosive currents, and improve conductivity, not to handle peak
lightning strikes.  Perhaps I'm wrong.  I'm sure the assembled
expertise here can correct me.

N2EA