Re: [TowerTalk] Exploding Foundations

To: Gary Schafer <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Exploding Foundations
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 15:36:32 -0700
Hi, Gary.

Yes, I agree.  I didn't mean to say that concrete cannot explode.  It
certainly can, and non-uniform heat accomplishes the task quite well.

I just don't believe that concrete is **more likely** to explode because
it has a good ground wire running through it as some have claimed, and
as you just stated, there doesn't appear to be any verified example
where that has happened.  My limited ability to reason through the
process of a lightning strike as I outlined in my previous posting
suggests to me that a properly grounded wire exiting a foundation
should, if anything, reduce the chance for explosive damage.  Maybe I'm
wrong ...

As several folks have pointed out, though, lightning is notoriously
capricious and anything can happen.  There are hams with tower and
station ground systems that are based upon what might charitably called
superstition who have never had a hit, and we have hams with decently
engineered ground systems who've suffered major damage.  Who says mother
nature doesn't have a sense of humor?  Maybe she reads these forums and
just likes to mess with us.

Thanks for the reply.

73,
Dave   AB7E