[TowerTalk] Tower base question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower base question
From: Krishna Kanakasapapathi <kkanakas@cisco.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 11:31:38 -0400
Hello all,
 I am in the process of installing an Aluma crankup. I have the permit on hand
and am following the specs.
 My handi man is helping me with the work.

The tower has a "T" base plate. The Tower hinges to this plate. The "T" plate
is expected to be fixed with
    5 screws in concrete.

 Here are the questions i have.
a) Does the Screws have to be attached to the rebar cage?
b) Is Zinc plated screw good( from home depot). I think not, since it has to be
galvanized. The "T" plate is
   aluminum.
c) If the screws have to be attached to the rebar cage, i can see that the
holes in the "T" plate to receive
   the screws do not align well with the rebar cage vertical members. This
would mean that i would need
   some kind of a plates to hold the screw using bolt/nuts. At least 2 plates
per screw to hold it.
d) The handiman is proposing to hold the rebar about 3 inches off the ground (
per spec) using 2x4 and then
  as the concrete is poured in, he wants to remove it. I am afraid of this
proposal. I have seen other tower
  installation pictures where the entire rebar cage is held by 2x4 with nuts
holding the screw all the way up
  from the "T" plate.

 Please let me know.

73's