[TowerTalk] Tower overload

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower overload
From: Peter Dougherty <w2irt@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 21:27:39 -0400
Hi all,

I'm in the final stages of getting my Force-12 Delta 240 in the air
on top of my C31XR and 2/2/1. I am now running into a problem with
combined wind-load ratings exceeding my tower's specced maximum by
about 22%. Fully-extended to 70' an LM-470 is rated at 15 sq. ft. of
wind load. The combined total of my array will be around 20 sq. feet.

Now, I'm extremely cautious about wind and storms to begin with, and
at the slightest hint of anything over 30 MPH, the tower is retracted
to about 35 feet, and all the way down if we're in for a big blow
(and always full-down whenever we're going to be away for anything
more than a few hours). I know this isn't an ideal situation, but how
risky is this to have up? If I keep the tower down about 5-10' from
maximum, would that make much difference (i.e. more sections
overlapping)? What about lowering the rotor plate by about 6-10 feet?
Would that help out at all?

I know the obvious answer is "don't do it," but at this stage I'm
willing to take a small gamble if the risk is not too extreme. What
say you? Is this too high a risk to even consider or one that can be
somewhat mitigated by not extending the tower to its maximum height
or lowering the rotor?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Peter,