[TowerTalk] Measuring coax loss with MFJ-259B

To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Measuring coax loss with MFJ-259B
From: "Robert Chudek" <k0rc@pclink.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2007 00:12:56 -0500
Using a Bird meter and comparing power levels at both ends is one method to
determine coaxial cable losses. But this is impractical in many circumstances.

Here's a link to an overview of how coaxial loss can be measured from one end
of the cable:  http://www.us.anritsu.com/downloads/files/11410-00320.pdf  They
even have a sense of humor when suggesting where you can solve the formula they
posted.

This article talks about taking readings between the peaks and valleys of the
VSWR measured within the frequency range of interest. But in this commercial
application, the impact of this is not very visual because of the limited
bandwidth they are testing. The main take-always from this article is the
measurement concept and the formula.

I purchased an AEA VIA HF Analyst a couple years ago and made measurements on
all kinds of things as I rebuilt my antenna systems. One graph is a 500 foot
roll of RG-8x coaxial cable. I plotted the VSWR signature when scanned from 1.5
MHz through 50 MHz. The peaks and valleys are very prominent on this graph and
you will see that, depending upon what frequency you measure the VSWR, it will
vary. The Return Loss chart looks similar.

You can download a copy of the SWR and Return Loss graphs from here:
http://chudek.aberon.net/  Select the "AEA HF Analyst Charts" album and then
the "Coaxial Cables" album. The VSWR graph... is a single page MS Word document
(70-Kb) with the VSWR and Return Loss charts.

I doubt there is anything "wrong" with the MFJ-258. But determining cable loss
is not a simple "one shot" measurement using that device.

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN