[TowerTalk] Skyhawk, KT36XA, opinions requested

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Skyhawk, KT36XA, opinions requested
From: "Larry Schimelpfenig" <k7sv@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 05:58:08 -0400
>I'm thinking of replacing my quad with either a Skyhawk or M2's KT36XA

I don't think you would be going wrong with either choice.

While I haven't used one, I did help K4FJ put his Skyhawks up. They appear
to be well built, and Steve is very pleased with how they play.

I have a lot of personal experience with the KT34XA/KT36XA. While the KT34XA
received some bad press, since it's M2 rebirth as the KT36XA I think any
concerns were resolved. One of the problems with the 34 is the aluminum
straps between the driven elements and the capacitor tubes would develop
corrosion resulting in poor connection. In the KT36XA, M2 has replaced those
straps with cast/machined pieces that are infinitely better. A number of
folks including me felt that their 34 didn't play well on 15.After
rebuilding mine with the 36XA upgrade kit (with some dimension changes), it
became a real player on 15. As I've said in the past, I found that my KT36XA
was very competitive on 20 and 15 and a canon on 10 meters.

Assembling the KT36XA is going to take much longer than the Skyhawk.

The boomlength on the KT36XA is 32 feet while the Skyhawk is 24 feet. Both
appear to weigh in at 75 pounds.

If I were to consider a new tribander at this point, it would be a toss-up
between the two. There are obviously a number of other tribanders in the mix
as well.

Incidentally, after moving my KT36XA and 2el KLM 40 out to the NR4M qth for
use as a mult antenna, I put an A3s and KLM rotatable dipole on my 65 feet
of Rohn 25. They might not be quite as competitive, but I am still amazed at
how well they play. Still having a great time contesting from the home qth.

Have fun.

73 de Larry K7SV