Re: [TowerTalk] 45G Top Plate

To: towertalk@contesting.com, w1rh@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 45G Top Plate
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 09:20:04 EDT

In a message dated 10/14/2007 8:15:50 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  I have my 45G in the air but no beam installed yet.
BPL45G top plate.  Two questions regarding the  beam
install:

>  2 - There is a set of guys 12 feet below  the top of
the tower.  The top section appears to be solid  with
little or no movement when on it.  Need comments on
whether or  not I can get away with installing the HF
beam first, followed by the top  set of guys.  Just
think it would make the beam installation a bit  easier
but I don't want to stress the top section.

    How far is it between the *last* set of guys and  the top of the tower?
If you're talking 44 or so feet (typical 32 feet between  guy sets + 12 feet),
it depends on how you're going to get the antenna up  there. If you're just
pulling it vertically up the tower above the last set of  guys, it won't put
any
undue strain on the tower. If you're going to tram it,  I'd be careful to not
put too much strain on the tramline/tower. If you  are going to tram it, I'd
suggest tramming it up just above the last set  of guys or 1/2 way up the
naked part of the tower and then pulling it  vertically the rest of the way.

    Four or five naked sections of tower is pushing  the pucker factor. It's
plenty strong enough but it does take some fortitude  to be able to climb it
and then install an antenna up there.

    Just curious - why is there 12 feet between the  top guys and the top of
the tower? Where is the rotator mounted?

Cheers,
Steve      K7LXC
TOWER TECH