Re: [TowerTalk] Top loading HF-6V for 160

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Top loading HF-6V for 160
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 15:12:36 -0700
I agree, Terry.  If aesthetics aren't a big issue, I'd put as much
surface area of metal up there as I could.  In that vein, larger
diameter wire is helpful as well.

For what it may be worth, I have found EZNEC to be surprisingly useful
for analyzing the effect of a top hat made from wires.  Apparently EZNEC
handles capacitive effects fairly well.  I once put an 80m groundplane
on the flat roof of my house, with the vertical section comprised of 45
feet of guyed two inch aluminum tubing and a top hat of four sloping
wires (aluminum guy wire from RS stretched out by nylon twine at the
ends).  Getting the thing erect by myself was quite a chore (hold the
chuckles) and I only wanted to to it once, so trimming the top hat
radial wires was something I wanted to avoid.  I modeled it ahead of
time with EZNEC and to my amazement the thing tuned right where I needed
it to be.  I've read here about others who had similar success modeling
top hats, and I'm sure one or more of us would be willing to help with a
ball park analysis.

73,
Dave   AB7E