Re: [TowerTalk] Pinned boom to mast on 203ba

To: "Wayne Kline" <w3ea@hotmail.com>, "k2vi" <k2vi@cox.net>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Pinned boom to mast on 203ba
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 17:10:03 -0400

> Anthony
>
> IMHO you don't need to Pin a Hy-Gain 203 as long as you have a 2" dia
> mast. it when you use a smaller dia you start getting into trouble because
> of less surface circumference for the boom to mast clamp to bite into.

Over the years I've had many tribanders up plus a 30 foot long 7L 6-meter
Yagi,  KLM 5L 20 meter and 6L 15 meter monobanders on 42' booms, and a 7L
Wilson 10 meter monobander (39 foot boom). All were on 1 1/2" masts, none
were pinned and none ever slipped. I've had a mast slip in a rotator a
couple of times, but that's it.

> As for the Dampening rope. Most Hy Gain antennas specific Dampening rope
> to over come resonance in the element.  I have seen hams who skipped this
> process and in short order had raining aluminum, resulting in expensive
> tomato stakes.  It's amazing to be on a tower and not only see an element
> Vibrate with self resonance but SING a certain pitch,  like a wind chime.

My 204BA was up for a couple of years before the end caps came off and the
rope came out.  I never did put it back in.
Rather than singing they sounded more like a power line or bunch of
Locusts(sp?). And yes, all the connections were tight<:-))

This is one of those YMMV

Roger (K8RI)