[TowerTalk] Green Power Lightbulb QRN

To: "Gene Smar" <ersmar@verizon.net>, <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Green Power Lightbulb QRN
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 12:26:21 -0400

> Roger:
>
>     What brand name green bulbs do you use?  I've read on other reflectors
> that some names are better (quieter) than others.

I'd just been picking them of the shelf at Lowe's. The two I just checked in
the end table lamps were GE.  I'm going to make the wild assumption which is
never safe, that the rest are *probably* GE as well. The ones I just checked
were 26 watt so they were probably 75 watt equivelant.

They've gotten relatively inexpensive up through 100 watt equivelant, but
above that they were still are kinda pricy the last time I purchased some.
The 150's for the garage were on the order of $15 USD each although that
was last fall so they may be/probably are much less now.

I find, for my eyes, their claims of 3 times the light for the actual power
are a bit off and I use 2X as a guide, BUT I took a light meter and find
their claims to be accurate. Like all but "full spectrum" they do have some
of the spectrum missing and that is probably why they seem less bright to
me. some of them seem to take a little while to come up to full brilliance
and they get a bit warmer in color with age. I think the newer ones come on
faster.   Even the 150's in the garage come up fairly fast even when it well
below freezing. How they age? I don't know, but it appears to be a LOT
better than the commercial 8 foot tubes in my shop. I have 22 tubes and once
they start failing I know the rest will go within two months so I just buy
them by the case and do them all at once.

73

Roger (K8RI)

> 73 de
> Gene Smar  AD3F

>>> 5 more on/off tests and each time BIG QRN.  I checked other bands.  It