Re: [TowerTalk] Winch Recommendation for Tramming Antennas Up/Down

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Winch Recommendation for Tramming Antennas Up/Down
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 20:50:19 -0500

> Professional tower installers use capstan winches.    Where did you find a
> hand crank type with enough travel?

First I should note that I don't work with any antennas over about 150 to
160#

I'd go with the powered capstan in a minute with an experienced ground crew.
Unfortunately I seldom have the luxury of having ground crew who have more
than a passing acquaintance with tower work and antennas. Those are not the
ones I want in control of that's happening up where I'm working. So I end up
either manually pulling the antenna up the tram line, using a small winch,
or using the hand cranked winch at the base of the tower with the cable
running through a pully and out under the tram line.  I'll trust *some*
inexperienced help on a good manual winch after a few minutes training, but
not something with power.

That said, I'm normally lucky to get enough help to even put up an antenna
let alone a good size ground crew.

I just picked up a winch at the local Ace hardware store that holds about
150 feet of Phillystran 1200# test which is about 3/16" in diameter.  3/16"
wire rope works as well, but  doesn't have near the strength. They had
several winches, but this was the only one with the capacity and latching
capability.

73

Roger (K8RI)