Re: [TowerTalk] Carbon Fiber Tubing

To: "Tod -ID" <tod@k0to.us>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Carbon Fiber Tubing
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 16:21:01 -0800 (PST)
Before everyone falls in love with carbon fiber, look at this
chart (see URL below).  Carbon is only 10% stronger than plain
vanilla fiberglass (E-glass) and it's 25% less strong than
S-glass.  It is 3/4 of the weight of 'glass, big deal.
The only redeeming characteristic is *stiffness* (modulus).
Three times as stiff.  This is very useful in your golf club
or tennis racket.  For antennas, I would think it is only
important for Titanex style DXpedition type verticals.

Rick N6RK