Re: [TowerTalk] Unguyed, with house bracket?

To: jimlux@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Unguyed, with house bracket?
From: Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 <faunt@panix.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 17:45:45 -0500 (EST)
   Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 13:52:30 -0800 (GMT-08:00)
   From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>

   Are you thinking of having a post next to the tower that you'd bolt to?

Vertical post set in concrete.  Attached top and bottom.

   Post or beam being vertical? Or at an angle?

   Don't forget that the house bracket essentially provides bracing in
   all directions (i.e. in the plane of the wall, the side of a house
   is pretty stiff, and if the wall you're bolted to is well attached
   to the adjacent walls, those walls provide the stiffness. )  The
   house is like a big fairly rigid box sitting on the ground.

   Consider it like you had a tower with a base that was 20x20 feet.

OTOH, the couple I've seen (and one I disassembled) have been out on
the eaves, and there's not a lot of structure out there.  And the
bolts to the tower from the house brackets didn't appear very robust,
either.   Clearly there is a spec for the "house" structure
(somewhere).  And that should be able to be turned into a force at the
top of a vertical pole.  For theings like I-bemas and pipes there are
tables or formulas for allowable forces, I just don't have them or
even know where they are kept.

For an example, would a railway rail of common dimensions do?

73, doug