Re: [TowerTalk] DIN Connectors You Can't Solder To

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] DIN Connectors You Can't Solder To
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 15:15:23 -0800
On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 09:48:59 -0600, John Becker wrote:

>I'm also wondering in the case of the original poster, who received
>unsolderable connectors with some ICE filters, if it is possible that
>ICE obtained their connectors from the least expensive source possible,
>and if that source was possibly some off-brand third world vendor who
>wasn't terribly interested in quality control.

I'm the original poster on this thread. I've got a bunch of this same
type. I bought them from RF Connection. Talked to this this morning.
They didn't take it very seriously, said they had to buy 10K pieces,
hams are cheap, buy on price, won't pay for better connectors, ya da, ya
da, ya da.

>Is this an isolated problem or one which many have experienced?

I know others have experienced it, based on other responses to my post.
I've used DIN connectors for at least 35 years, and never had trouble
soldering to them until the last few years. Now the cheap junk is
everywhere. And just like at Walmart, cheap pushes everything else out
of the marketplace. By the time consumers figure out that cheap is crap,
the quality vendors are belly up, because the crap has stolen their
market.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC