Re: [TowerTalk] Capacitors To Tune 160 Vertical

To: "TopBand List" <topband@contesting.com>,"Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Capacitors To Tune 160 Vertical
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 11:55:55 -0800
On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 12:15:26 -0700, David Gilbert wrote:

>I'd probably shoot for more margin on the parallel portion than on
>the series portion

Thanks for the many excellent thoughts on this issue. Based on the
contents of my junkbox, I began with two .0047 400V dipped micas in
series, and pumped 1 kW through them for a few minutes. They got
warm, as one would suspect, but no sign of overheating.

Returning to the junkbox, I found enough of them to build two
parallel legs of four series .0047's. I'll smoke test that for a
while before ARRL 160 this weekend. In the meantime, I'll also put
together a parallel combo and have that waiting if and when the
smoke starts. :)

Luckily, the feedpoint of this vertical is at ground level and only
30 ft of coax from the shack. I've been tuning it with a TenTec
229B, and that works. And it's easy to transmit for a while, then
run outside to see how hot the caps are getting.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC