Re: [TowerTalk] shrink tubing & coax connectors

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] shrink tubing & coax connectors
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 14:10:37 -0500

>I don't understand the need to use adhesive heat shrink.  We still have
> to tape/coaxseal or whatever to make the waterproof the connection.  Why

Not if the connection was properly sealed with the flooded heat shrink. I've
never had one leak and unlike tape I've never had the lightning blow it off
which is probably pure luck. However unlike tape, even good 3M tape, I've
never had the adhesive come off in cold weather or turn to goo in hot
weather.

> are we worrying about the heat shrink?  Isn't the heat shrink just
> cosmetic?

Heat shrink, at least the good stuff, is far more than cosmetic. It
waterproofs and adds mechanical strength between the coax and connector.

I don't have a photo of a good example of a splice but the bottom photos on
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/AV-640/AV640.htm show some good
connections. I'll try and find one of a splice as well to put up.

73

Roger (K8RI)